Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Summer Crafting

Wow, is all I can say. My summer is going great. I’ve already visited family in North East PA, and my husband’s brother and his family came to visit us from Dublin, Ireland. I am looking forward to a quick trip to Ocean City MD, in July, which should end our summer travels. 

I know some of my teaching friends would hate to hear but, I’ve already started a back to school countdown (Don’t worry Rachel, I won’t post it just yet!) I'm just trying to get some big projects out of the way so August won't be crazy with things to do . I have a week-long PD in August for Orton-Gillingham Training. I am super stoked, I was selected for a pilot program, and it will be FREE!  With that said, I am excited to share some of my classroom Pinterest Ideas.  WOOT WOOT! 


At the end of last year, one of my fellow special education teachers purchased new shelves for her classroom and she gave me a wooden shelf that she no longer had a use for.  I stumbled across this idea on Pinterest ‘13 Things We Can Do With Leftover Fabric’. I just happened to have the perfect can of paint and fabric to match my color scheme for the fall. SO, this is my refinished classroom shelf that will be used behind my guided reading table. 

It turned out even better than I expected. I LOVE IT! Can't wait to get in setup in my class. :) 

I have also seen numerous pins on Pinterest where someone has painted or covered big letters to spell the word READ.  I was able to score these letters on sale for about $1.50 each at Michael's and thought what the heck? Why not?  SO I DID!   At first, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted them mounted on a canvas. 
.
My little helper was fascinated by these giant letters. In the end, I just traced the the letters on the back of the fabric and attached it with Mod podge. Then decided to use pink ribbon to hang them.   I didn't use a specific site for a tutorial. But there are plenty if you search DIY wooden letters.
  Here are my finished letters:





What projects are on your list of things to do this summer?

Happy Crafting! 
-Desiree

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for holding back on the countdown! I LOVE the way that both of your projects came out! You're so crafty!

    XO
    Rachel
    Mrs O Knows

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun, I just need to get working on some curtains. ;)

    ReplyDelete