Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Reading Corner in the Resource Room: Part 2 Organization


Over the last few years, I have attempted to organize my classroom library. If you can imagine a system, I've tried it, or at least that's what I thought.... Book bins organized by nonfiction, fiction, genre etc.  But nothing ever seemed to work how I wanted it. I changed it and rearranged it, once, twice actually, I cant even remember how many times I've organized my library books!!! It's always been a pile of frustration.....I  don't know about you but it seems that I am always organizing my classroom library and  I haven't found a system that works for the needs of my students in my resource room.

Until NOW........... 

After nearly a decade of teaching.......... one evening, while I was pinning, I found THIS amazing idea Pinterest from Lessons with Laughter. For me this is going to be a life changer. Instead of organizing my books alphabetically by title/author, I'm organizing them alphabetically by guided reading levels. I just can't help but shake my head and think "Why didn't I think of this sooner?"  This is perfect for my resource room! Now all of my students will be able to find their Just Right Books with ease.  This system also makes it super easy for my students to put the book back in its "JUST RIGHT SPOT"....lol

The very next day, I  immediately decided begin the organization process for the last time, as I know it was the system I have needed for the last few years. So I was off.... on a trip to Michael's to get Wasabi tape...I mean Washi tape. Can you believe for the longest time, I was calling it Wasabi tape? My friends must have thought I was being a goof which is nothing short of unusual for me. Seriously, it wasn't fun when the associate (who probably thought I was that 'crazy' old lady) at Michael's corrected me..  "Oh you mean Washi Tape?".. I was totally like -"Yeah, I know, but Wasabi is so much more fun to say."....smh. :/ Anyway, I bought Washi tape, Scotch Expression tape and  1/2 inch mini duct tape( I found the mini duct tape at Target).  This crazy lady was on a mission to find 26 different colors/patterns of tape.

Sooooooo  I started organizing and I taped and color coded and here it is finally after countless years...... a system that is perfect ....for the needs in my resource room.   YAAA HOOOOOO!!!  I still have a few things I need to tweak before the fall but this is just perfect for the needs in my class.  :)



Happy Organizing! 

-Desiree





No comments:

Post a Comment